Do you click on those internet articles that begin with “10 Things You…” or “The Top 10 Places….”? I find myself intrigued at times and just have to go for it. But the truth be told, sometimes all we want is something short and to the point. So my message this time is for Students…both high school and college. If you anticipate needing a job or internship for next summer, now is the time to begin making a plan to make connections and get on the radar while you are on Winter Break. So, here are the 5 Key Steps to Help You Capitalize on Your Opportunity:
- Identify where you will or want to be during the summer. As a high school student that is probably at home, but for college students you may identify a different location.
- Identify your area of interest for work experience or an internship in your intended field.
- Identify who you know personally in that industry or find out who the industry players are that you don’t know yet. Key word, yet!
- Create your Contact List including name, name of business, email address, phone, physical location and be sure to leave space to make notes of your contact with them and future opportunities.
- Identify your available dates and times and take action to set up appointments with those individuals or businesses as soon as your Break begins.
Capitalize on your opportunity to secure a summer job or internship by creating a plan using these 5 Key Steps. Even if a business isn’t hiring yet it is never too early to develop a relationship with the hiring agent. That way, you get ahead of the competition, create a relationship with someone who may provide that great opportunity, and you still have plenty of time to enjoy that Winter Break! Organization using 5 Key Steps = SUCCESS!